Scented candles are a beautiful way to add fragrance and ambience to your home. By following a few simple care instructions before, during and after burning, you can maximise your candle’s life and fragrance throw, making scented candles an affordable everyday luxury.
To ensure you get the maximum from your Purcell & Woodcock candle, I recommend the following:
- Always store your candles in a cool, dark and dry place. Although candles are designed to be melted, excessive heat can cause the wax to sweat, affecting fragrance throw.
- The first time you use your candle, burn for a minimum of 2-3 hours, allowing the wax to burn evenly across the surface to the edge of the glass. Scented candles develop ‘burn memory’ and a candle that has not been burnt right to the edges on its initial use, will ‘tunnel’ and burn unevenly through the centre of the wax, causing wax to be wasted.
- Remove all packaging and place on a stable, protected, heat-resistant, dry surface, ensuring it is out of reach of children and pets.
- Never leave burning candles unattended. Keep them within sight at all times.
- Trim candlewicks to 5mm each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping and/or excessive smoking.
- Keep burning candles away from draughts, vents, ceiling fans, air currents and open doors. This will help prevent rapid, uneven burning and avoid sooting. However, a small amount of soot around the edges of the glass vessel is normal, particularly as your candle reaches the bottom. To remove, simply wipe with a wet cloth while the glass is still warm.
- Keep the wax pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris at all times - debris in wax can cause excessive flames and/or smoke.
- Use a snuffer to extinguish a candle. It's the safest way to prevent hot wax splatters to yourself or furniture.
- Don’t burn a candle for too long – the maximum a candle should be burned for at a time is 4 hours. If you want to burn for longer, trim the wick, let the wax cool and relight.
- Discontinue use when 10mm of wax remains in the vessel.
- Lastly, all our products are designed to be loved and used everyday so once your candle has been used, simply rinse out any remaining wax and use the painted vessel as storage - they make a pretty vase for handpicked garden flowers or on the windowsill with fresh herbs - the options are endless!.